Saturday, March 3, 2007

Time Goes Trotting By

It's March already. Tomorrow is military day (old IB joke...March 4th...forth...get it? Okay, okay, stop groaning). My kids are growing up. I'm getting old. It's weird...I spent so many years waiting to be grown up, waiting to be considered mature and taken seriously....and suddenly one day I turned around and everybody took me TOO seriously, I was now considered old, people think I'm odd if I act immaturely....and I keep wishing I was young again. And yes, I know I changed verb tenses and I shouldn't do that. Tough.
This morning was a lot colder than it has been the last few days, and it got me thinking about time, hence the topic today. What I was thinking about was simply that, in a few weeks, the temperature would start to change again...it would start getting warmer and staying warmer, instead of the varying stages of cold that exemplify winter in Saskatchewan, playing havoc with our health by slamming us with one day of bone creaking cold, then the next day being barely below zero, so that you are dripping sweat in 5 minutes because you are dressed for yesterday's weather...a few days to get used to that, then about two weeks of freeze-your-eyelashes-to-your-cheeks-if-you-dare-blink cold...and the next morning the roof is dripping all over the driveway. This is one reason I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer by the door....glance at that puppy each morning, plus see if the tree branches outside are moving, and gauge my level of outdoor wear by that. I hit it pretty much dead on today...-16C, but no wind...winter jacket (NOT Kenny coat), balaclava style toque (big hole for face instead of just eye holes, but can be pulled up to cover chin and mouth if desired), big boots, stretch gloves and mitts with the removable end for finger access. Should have worn long underwear for my legs, but aside from that, was quite comfortable.
It will be nice when winter is over, even the stage of spring where there is still snow on the ground, but things are beginning to melt...I like seeing things reappear out of the snow, I like the feeling of the temperature changing to warmer days, the increase of daylight, and eventually the sight of grass and blossoms and leaves. All of these will also lighten my moods. February and March are my most negative months.
I hear Son singing songs to himself in his room. I will go see what he'd like for breakfast..."ce'al", or "o'meal". And maybe some "Owinsch joosh" He's a cutie. :) And Daughter tells me she had a bad dream. She seems to be having an awful lot of them.

No comments: