Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Disappointment, but Calm Acceptance

In October of this year, Sweet Adelines International is having its International Competition (the best of the best) in Calgary. Very rarely does the competition take place in Canada. Maybe every 10 years or more, if we're lucky. So I signed up, paid my registration fee back in early January. What an experience it would be to go watch INTERNATIONALS.
But I started planning things yesterday, such as looking into hotels and transportation and meals and all. It's not going to happen. No matter how I twisted and turned the numbers, it just isn't happening. With the financial struggles we encountered last year, and our plan to get out of the hole this year, to spend that much money in one place would not only be painful, it would be downright dumb, as it would put me further in the hole.
I realized that it was better to just pull out and hope that one year we will get to go to Internationals as competitors...and maybe it will be some exotic place, no less! If we win this year at Regionals, we would go to Internationals next year...in Hawaii.
So really, it's a case of so close, and yet so far...but there is a good side to this...by not having to save up for Internationals, I can not only afford to get my Leisure pass, but have some extra money left over for "extras".

No comments: