Thursday, March 29, 2007

SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, just when I thought the day couldn't get worse.
We headed out to do errands...library, groceries, that sort of thing. I'm driving. Stop at a red light. Next thing I know there's a Dodge Ram 2500 in the back of the van. I heard the screech of brakes before he hit, and have played the coulda woulda shouldas all day in my head....if only I had hit the gas when I heard the screech....if only I had tried to beat the yellow today instead of being good and braking to a stop on time...Son is fine, Daughter is physically fine but having a rough time with it, emotionally. Husband and I are really sore....no definite injuries, but all our muscles are seizing up on us, so potentially whiplash and that sort of thing. You should have seen the black skid marks he left on the road before he hit.
The hatch and bumper must be replaced. The back window totally shattered (funny thing is, the accident felt like it happened in slow motion, like watching it on TV, and I remember a sense of absolute fascination as I watched the window shatter behind me), but thankfully, because of the tinting and decalling, it mostly stayed together in its shattered state instead of flying into the kids' heads, the large proportion of it falling out of the back in mostly one piece (though shattered) as I pulled into a parking lot to exchange info. $4000 damage, and we can't do anything, even though the other guy was totally at fault, until the other guy calls in his claim.
It's a bit breezy in the van at the moment. Having somebody try to fit their pickup into your minivan will do that to you. I'm very shaken, very tired, and very, very, very sore. I am debating calling my boss to say I won't be at work in the morning.
I refuse to cook....i can hardly move. So I must now go flip phone book pages to figure out what to feed the kids.
Bad timing...just had the brakes fixed, car washed inside and out, tires changed and wheels aligned in the last two days....$800-$900 shelled out just so we could get our van smashed up. *sigh* It figures.

No comments: