Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine

Yesterday was a day. Just a day. Valentine's Day to be exact....I am the woman, and therefore I find certain days to be very important and worth celebrating. My husband, unfortunately, is not quite as into the whole "special day" concept. Oh, he tries, and with a bit of a push, he does come through....but there are times I really wish he felt the same as I do about certain days.
You have to understand, first of all, that we are on a tight budget, and so this year's Valentine's Day was not going to have its usual spunk...no fancy valentine gift, no romantic dinner out somewhere...but I figured we would do SOMETHING. Daughter spent some of her own money to buy us all gifts. She is such a sweetheart. She bought me a plush pink rose that plays the chorus of "The Rose" when you push a button. She bought her Daddy a bag of Reese's hearts (he loves Reese's peanut butter cups, so these, she decided, were perfect. She bought her brother a stuffed puppy, which he loves. I spent less than $10 on my stuff...fun valentine's "lottery tickets" and two little frogs that kiss, with noise, for Husband, a chocolate heart for Son, and a little puppy snowglobe with hearts in it for Daughter. Husband had said not to go overboard, so I didn't.
Husband got us nothing. No cards, no gifts. Nothing. Daughter was disappointed, but wouldn't for the world say so to Daddy, s waited until he left for work. I was sorely disappointed, and hid in the bathroom for a few minutes to calm myself enough that I would not cry.
It seems like such a silly thing, maybe, to be upset about it...but then, Valentine's Day is also our half-iversary. We have been married exactly 7 1/2 years. I sang the song "Valentine" at our wedding reception. (and almost all of you missed it, not being there....we'll do it again for our 25th, then you HAVE to come!)
He knew. He could see by the look on my face when Elizabeth asked what he had gotten for her and he said "nothing" that he had messed up.
He came home later with a heart shaped DQ ice cream cake. That went a long way towards soothing hurt feelings...and to adding pounds to us all. :)
My goal of not doing extra snacking and such got totally flushed down the toilet yesterday....today is going to have to be a lot better....yesterday I had the ice cream cake after lunch, some leftover potato salad before supper, and then nachos and cheese sauce and iced tea in the evening. Am I an emotional eater or what? Ugh!
I calculated what I will need in order to get that Leisure Pass I had talked about....it will cost about $32.17 a month. Based on the fact that $400/month of my earnings goes straight to the family budget, and I still have to pay for Sweet Adelines and maybe the occasional Slurpee or something, I'd have to make about $550/month doing the papers to make it work. Maybe not so realistic at this point in time....over the past 8 months, I made an average of $478.21 a month.
Well, my time is up, and it's likely a good thing, as this certainly looks like I've had a major gripe session. (Sorry!) Daughter needs help putting the milk in her cereal.

No comments: