Monday, February 26, 2007

Excitement!

We got some really cool news yesterday, which has made our whole household very, very happy.
In 3 years, my parents will be moving here. No more long trips to see Granny and Grandad, no more long periods of time where we don't see them because of the long trips involved, the kids will see them a LOT more and really get to know them....it's going to be really cool. Who knows? Maybe we can even help them pick a house when the time comes. :) For them, it will be good, too....they get to see the grandkids, they get to see us, they will be MUCH closer to my brother and sister...I think the major downside of it will be that they will have to get used to winter again....and winter on the Prairies no less!
Daughter wanted to help with papers this morning. Monday papers are light and the route was not a long one, so I said yes. Got her up, dressed, and bundled well, finding it was at least6 degrees colder than I had expected, and drove off to the route. She lasted maybe two houses, then started wimpering. Her hands were cold. I guess her mitts weren't thick enough. Delivered a few more papers (they were on the way back to the car), opened the car and got her thick gloves. We got maybe 2 houses further, she's crying again, her hands aren't warm yet. I take off mine (cuz mine are toasty inside) and put them on her. Two houses later, she's sobbing in someone's driveway at 4:50AM, saying her hands still haven't warmed up. I was upset. I was frustrated. I owe her an apology. I stormed her back to the car, drove her home, put her in the house with instructions to go back to bed, then stormed back to the car and drove all the way back to the route to complete it.
I SHOULD have sat her in the car, started it, and warmed up the gloves with the heat vents, then gone out with her again...or blown on the gloves to warm them, or warmed her hands with mine. Instead I got mad at her for something that really wasn't her fault, and forgot that she was very much like me at her age, when being cold made me cry.
I think we'll wait until spring to try doing papers together again.

1 comment:

neville222 said...

Where are your paarents from if it is not so cold? B.C. perhaps?