Monday, April 9, 2007

Disappointment and Excitement

Well, Sister and B-I-L have gone home. I hope they had a good week. The only problem is that something happened and I need to vent, but I know they probably will read this and I don't want any more feelings hurt for anyone. I will therefore write my thoughts and apologize in advance for any hurt feelings.
Daughter was very disappointed with the week. She had been sooooo excited. Her Auntie was coming. She had waited since before Christmas, and had all these amazing plans for things she wanted to do and show her Auntie. Auntie came, and the first day was fine...but then the rest of the week she slowly started getting disappointed. But because she is 6-going-on-50, she never said anything. She took it like an adult, and didn't complain, didn't tell me how she felt...until last night, when she broke down in tears. "All week, I kept asking, do you want to play with me? Do you want to play Barbies? Will you play a game with me? And all she ever said was 'maybe later, not right now,I don't really feel like doing that'....but Mommy, later never CAME! She never wants to do ANYTHING with me! All she wants to do is sit and watch TV and now she said no because she wants to watch the show...but she already WATCHED that one, YESTERDAY!"
My poor baby. Her heart was breaking, because, being 6, she took it personally, and because she is so mature, she wouldn't say anything to Auntie. Husband and I comforted her in her room, and because she has the week off, we saw a good opportunity to give her a little extra attention...if there was something she would like to do, and it was at all humanly possible, we would do it. It looks like we are planning a dress up tea party with cake, maybe with a friend from kindergarten coming over to join us. But she was still disappointed, and after saying goodnight to them, she told me "They never even hugged me goodnight, just walked in, said goodnight, and walked out"
Now before anybody jumps all over Auntie and Uncle, I honestly believe they had no idea how they came across, and I was too uncomfortable to bring it up. They have conflicting schedules, so although they have been married nearly 4 years, they haven't spent much time together....so we left them pretty much to do as they pleased, which was basically a lot of sitting on the couch, side by side, under a comforter. I'm glad they got to spend the time together....I just wish it could have been done in a way that didn't break my daughter's heart.
I really hope the next time will go better. Perhaps by then, they will be a little more in tune with the kids' viewpoints and feelings, maybe feeling a bit more energetic, and therefore more up to playing with the kids.
It was great to see them and have them here, don't get me wrong...but when my child feels that someone only came to see me and Husband, and not her, something has gone terribly wrong.
My title says excitement, too, and that is as a result of a phone conversation we had yesterday. Originally, my parents were planning on getting a smaller house this summer, then in a few years, considering moving here....then it changed to they were staying in their house they have now, and moving here in 3 years...as of yesterday's call, the plan is that they are moving here NEXT SUMMER. The kids are going to have a blast with their Granny and Grandad...cookie making, crafts, staying over once in awhile, family dinners....maybe they'll even come to our church...they need that, I think, to have relatives close by. We are so excited that they are coming! They will be visiting this summer, to kind of get an idea of the neighbourhoods and houses and all. It's going to be fun. :)

No comments: