Saturday, July 14, 2007

What am I famous for?

In this neighbourhood, apparently my new air pump. The neighbourhood kids all have these inflatable swimming pools (we don't, yet, but may soon, as our hard plastic one bit the bullet), and apparently their pools keep going flat. So they all come knocking on my door..."Can we use your air pump? Our pool went flat again!", and I give it to them, and off they go. I always wanted to be famous.....but I never thought it would be for my air pump. I always wanted to be a famous singer, but apparently I'm just full of hot air. Ha ha.
Speaking of hot air, we are all melting on this fine Saturday afternoon. We were supposed to have tuna casserole for supper, but there is no way that stove is getting turned on. As it is, Son is sitting around in his underwear....the only one in the family who is young enough to get away with doing so. We all envy him. So today I will put together a cold plate....lettuce, tuna and mayo, maybe some tomato, and some cheese. I guess I'm famous for coming up with food ideas in my house, too. I create my own "kitchen sink soups"....I have some leftover meat, maybe some bones, toss them in a pot and boil like mad to get a broth, then after the bones are removed, toss in pretty much anything and everything I can find....potato, rice, noodles, veggies....I've even put in some Bulls Eye BBQ sauce when I had leftover roast, and it actually tasted really good! I made a big pot of chili yesterday....sort of followed a recipe, in terms of what ingredients would go in, but kind of fudged it from there, especially since the recipe wasn't for the 3 pounds of beans I cooked up. It turned out really good, and made enough for 6 family meals.
Daughter got herself one of those bead curtains at a yard sale yesterday. They plopped it in a bag for her to carry it...it took me 4 HOURS to get the thing untangled and put up for her....it came out of the bag as one giant snarled ball of beaded string. Ugh! As a result, I got to bed last night around 1AM....not good when you consider I get up at 4AM to go to work! I managed to stumble my way through that, skipped going to the gym, opting instead to crash on the couch at 7AM....and stayed there in either an unconscious or semiconscious state until shortly before 11AM.Much to my children's frustration, I'm sure. I sing at church tomorrow, but don't have to be up until about 7AM to get everybody ready to go, so should be able to catch up on my sleep a bit that way....and then Husband works an overnight shift tomorrow night, which takes away any possibility of me working on Monday morning, so i will have yet ANOTHER night of extended sleep....except that I don't sleep so well when he is away overnight.
Anyway, I plan to spend the rest of the day in a lazy way....maybe I'll treat the family to ice cream later or something. It's too hot to do much else, and it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow....so we are going to the MOVIES where it will be air conditioned....cheap theatre to see Nancy Drew, I believe.

No comments: