Saturday, March 22, 2008

It's Done.....and It Was Fun

My parents came down this past week. They are, as I mentioned in previous posts, making plans to move to our fair province, so as to be closer to the grandchildren, and I suppose to their kids as well.
They flew in on Monday night, and we hustled off to the airport to pick them up....myself, Daughter in her pink jammies with the feet and penguins all over them, and Son in his Cars jammies, as it was past heir bedtimes, but I knew there was no chance of them going to sleep before my parents arrived anyway.
Tuesday brought a day of travel and some disappointment....we spent the day looking at houses in Moose Jaw and Caronport, but none of the houses were right....some were in not so great looking neighbourhoods, some were really small, some had damage caused by water, shifting, that sort of thing....nothing struck their fancy.
Wednesday, we drove the 45 minutes to Moose Jaw again, to meet with the real estate agent, who took us down to Assiniboia. Wow. That's what I say. Wow. We looked at 3 houses. The last one was a definite no. It was a smoking house, and the people were home and smoking while we were looking. Ick, ick, ick. The hallways were narrow, the stairs down to the finished basement were downright deadly....not good. The second house we looked at was massive. It had an upstairs, a main level, and a basement, all finished and full of rooms. I believe, if memory serves me, the top level had 3 bedrooms and a bath. The main had a living room, a huge sunken den,a bathroom, a kitchen, and a dining room, plus a very large entryway and a door leading to a double garage. The basement had a huge family room, an office, a gigantic furnace room, a huge cold storage room, and another room of some sort, plus various closets and such. Too big for their liking and no real yard....not good when you have a big dog. But the first one. Wow. It's an older house, an estate sale, actually. Very well kept house. Nice, quiet street. You walk in the front door to the main level. On the main level is a living room, dining room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms, a bath, and a mud room/laundry room with a door leading out to a HUGE fenced yard with a shed. There are tons of closets everywhere. On the main floor alone, I believe there are 3 or 4 closets for coats, linens, general storage, plus each bedroom has a closet. Downstairs I can't remember completely, but it has a family room, den, bar, cedar closet, tons and tons and tons of storage closets (under the stairs, along the walls, etc)....it's the house they bought. For about $125,000. And the village itself is beautiful. It's got that old-time, community feel, plus it's got every amenity imagineable, a railway line running past it, and it's just....perfect. I want to retire there someday!
Thursday was a relaxed day, as their house was sold, they'd bought a new house....we could just veg and do a bit of in-town shopping.
Friday was the Good Friday service with all the churches in the city. It was good....except the 2 sermons part. One would have been sufficient, especially with kids in the audience. We then went out for lunch at a really nice buffet place, drove off to look at Dog River (AKA Rouleau), and vowed to come back in the summer when they are actually filming so the Corner Gas sign and the Ruby will be up and open for pictures. Then we came home to make homemade pizza.
I had to get up really early this morning....3AM to be exact....to get them off to the airport. They will be back in June, to move in. I think I will go back to bed now (it's about 4:30AM)
Oh! Did I tell you about Bessie? I'll check my blog later to see, and if I haven't, I will have to include that in a future post. I'm too tired to do it right now.

No comments: