Saturday, August 4, 2007

Human Guinea Pigs

I have been having some issues over the last few years since son was born. Nothing life threatening, just really annoying, really gross, and really uncomfortable. Anyway, I heard this ad on the radio a few months ago, basically saying that if you had these symptoms (and they proceed to list off all of mine), they are looking for test subjects for a new drug, and to call this number or check this website. I kept thinking I should check it out, and then would forget the address and all, as it was always while I was driving in the car, and we all know the way life runs is a great memory eraser.
Well, Husband, who has to live with me, heard the ad a few weeks ago, and he remembered the address, looked it up, and pointed me to it, not even knowing I'd been wanting to do so. I looked at it. I filled in their application and fired it off. A few days later, i am contacted, asked a zillion questions. Yes, it sounds as if I am the kind of person they are looking for. The lady then begins telling me about what will be expected of me in the screening process and all. I am getting a bit nervous. She says she'll mail me all the info about everything to do with the test. About a week later, the envelope arrives. I read it through and form my own opinions, and then pass it on to Husband for his input. He simply stated if I didn't want to do it, then I just shouldn't do it. So helpful.
In any case. The screening process would involve ultrasounds, a biopsy, a pap smear, some scan involving a catheter, a trillion blood tests, etc, etc, etc. Sounds like a real party to me. Oh yeah!
The test itself would take up to 6 months, and had 4 streams, two of them, of course, placebos, and it was, of course, to be a double blind test. One of the options and its placebo sounded okay, the other not so good (but I wouldn't get a choice)...and then I read the page on possible side effects. Now, I realize they have to cover their butts and list everything, but there's only so many side effects that I'm willing to run the risk of having to deal with.
That and there was the task of collecting and sending them certain things during the test.
I wanted a solution to my problem. I wanted to maybe find some relief. And I could have used the $75 per visit they would have paid me. But after all that, I have decided that I will just suffer through what I am facing at the moment, in the hopes that someone ELSE will have the guts to go through those tests, that those tests will result in a solution, and that somewhere down the road, I will benefit from this solution WITHOUT the indignity and discomfort and risk of the testing process of something that could ultimately, in the end, be a dud anyway.

1 comment:

Carrien Blue said...

I'm with you on that one. Not worth it.