Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hoarders

Has anyone else seen the show on TLC, called Hoarders?

I started watching this a few months ago, and had to come to a few tough realizations about myself.

Hello, my name is Deborah, and I am a hoarder.

Thankfully I have not reached the level that the people on this show reach by the time they are on camera, but I must admit, looking around, and watching the show, not only could I see that I had become one of THEM, but, boy, could I empathize with them. I knew exactly how they felt as they dug through their piles of belongings, trying desperately to figure out what to keep, and what to let go of.

A few months ago, my husband convinced me to essentially take a dare...if I could fill up a dumpster that he would arrange to have dropped off in our driveway for a week...a 14 foot one..he would get plane tickets for myself and the kids to go on a flight to visit a dear friend of mine.

It was a painful week, in some ways, but also a good week. We did manage to fill up the dumpster, and, to my shock and horror, even after getting rid of (no joke) a literal tonne of stuff, we still have a LOT of stuff in the house that I am constantly having to clean up, sort, or hide away. I am trying hard to keep at it, to learn to let go of things....but it's really hard when everything either has a use, a memory, or an emotional attachment.

I have several rooms that I have managed to keep somewhat under control lately, but there are a lot of rooms that, well, still need a lot of work.

That week was painful in shock waves, too...there was the initial getting-rid-of-useful-stuff painfulness, then the pain of Son realizing he had mistakenly put a favourite book in there, moments after they had hauled it away...and then several weeks later, the realization that in getting rid of a bunch of old VHS tapes that had stuff we had recorded on them, I had accidentally gotten rid of the one that had Daughter's baby videos on it. That one still hurts, but I know in the big picture, the main thing is that I have Daughter...and the memories are there in my head. I just wish I could have shown HER the videos.

In any case...that is my current challenge...to finish what I started and not get discouraged. Bit by bit, I'm hoping to sort through the entire house, including those scary spots that have ended up being danger zones...you know...the walk-in closet where everything gets shoved just before company arrives, the little cupboard where all the stuff goes "until I find a proper place for it"...places like that.

Wish me luck. Eventually, I will get a handle on this, and then maybe I won't have to clean for 4 hours a day, just to turn around and find it's all messed up again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I have stumbled upon your blog, content of your blot is written very nicely please Visit My Site also. I also like the setup of your blog.
vijay

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your feelings about this. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum on this, where I get anxiety when there's too much "stuff" around and I prefer open space. I see stuff as just stuff, other than a few things that are special to me. I crave a clean, dust-free home and that's impossible with a lot of "stuff" around.. someday..
I think the Hoarders show is pretty educational, especially to those of us who can't imagine what it is like and just want to get rid of stuff. Good luck!
Mary Lou