Friday, September 14, 2007

Dying a slow death

That is what this blog seems to be doing. I started off as a real keener, posting every day, even if what I was posting was more diary than public interest.
But I have been busy....and distracted....and tired. Very, very, very, very tired.
The Dog has been keeping us busy, on again, off again with cooperating with the whole crate idea. When she's agreeable, she's in within a few seconds, but on days when she is not, she whines, howls, pees all over, runs crazily all over the house, bouncing wildly off furniture (and unfortunately several times off Son or Daughter), and it takes two of us literally picking her up and shoving her in to get her to go. And when the Dog happens to be over 60 pounds, this is no small feat! If I'm alone, I have had to abandon the effort and stick her outside on her rope, which results in her tearing the screen off the back door, breaking plant pots, and making a horrible ruckus what with her whining and barking and throwing herself at the door and scratching at it. But I can't just ignore her or she makes a mess on the carpets in the five seconds I am out of the room. Even if she's just gone.
Still getting up at 4AM to do papers and go to the gym before getting Daughter ready for school. The last few days have been absolute torture, though. I have had a never-ending headache and been so tired I could sleep all day and night if given the chance. To be quite honest, it's been so bad that I haven';t achieved nearly as much as I should have this week. Take today, for example...got to bed last night around 10:30. Up this morning, 2 routes, gym, home by 7:30. Get daughter off to the school bus for 8. Grab a cup of coffee, sit down for a few minutes to drink it and watch Fat Albert (the old 30 minute cartoon version) before starting on the daily cleaning...3 hours later, hubby is waking me up from a VERY uncomfortable position in the chair (luckily I finished the coffee before going unconscious). Took the Dog for a walk, came home, made lunch, ate it, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, took out the compost, and tidied the bathroom, and now I sit here quite honestly ready and willing to go to bed and sleep until tomorrow (it's 2PM). Husband has been complaining of the headache and fatigue since last night. We've got a CO2 monitor and everything, so it isn't that. The only thing I could find on the internet was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, of which I have quite a few symptoms.....but I reserve judgement on that one for the time being, as I have a tendency to become slightly hypochondriacal.
Anyway, I will try to keep up with this blog a bit better, but if I don't....I'm probably asleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb it sounds like crate training is not working for you. It has to be a very positive experience for the dog to get it to work. When you have to pick her up and shove her into the crate she has a very negative reaction to it. Do you want to be shoved into something? Have you tried putting toys into there for her? How about real bones stuffed with something? She shouldn't have rawhide bones they really aren't good for her. Try using treats to get her in. Don't just try to get her in when you want to leave but put her in when your there to and let her go in and out of it so she sees it as a safe place and not just a punishment. I don't know if this helps at all but theses are the tips I was given for shaggy from the trainer. Although I didn't crate train her I gave her a small bathroom to sleep in. So it's like a crate but bigger and she has her water in it. Good luck.
Kendra